Curfew Lifted in Southeast Turkey In Diyarbakır’s Bağlar District
“The curfew announced March 15…has been removed starting 6:00 a.m. [04:00 GMT] due to the re-establishment of security and public order,” Diyarbakır Governor Huseyin Aksoy said in a statement.
He said about 200,000 police officers had been deployed to ensure public order during the popular Kurdish celebration of Newroz on March 20-21.
Renewed Ankara-PKK violence claimed the lives of 300 troops and police officers since July 2015. The Turkish general staff estimated over 1,000 Kurdish militants were killed in the campaign since mid-December, a figure that pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) officials argue includes hundreds of civilian.