Insurance Protection for Seasonal License Plates

Many convertibles, motorcycles and mobile homes disappear from the streets in the winter months and take a break. According to the Federal Motor Transport Authority, almost a million car drivers, more than 1.3 million motorcyclists and around 150,000 mobile home owners now use a seasonal license plate. This saves time and money: the vehicle does not have to be logged in to be put back into operation, and it does not have to be logged out in the event of temporary shutdown. Taxes and car insurance are only paid for the period of use, at least two and a maximum of eleven months. But even during the rest months there is insurance protection, as HUK-Coburg emphasizes.

This can become important if, for example, oil or petrol leaks out and pollutes the soil, perhaps even seeping into the groundwater. If the landlord or the municipality demands compensation, this is a classic case for motor vehicle liability insurance.

The rest insurance can also include comprehensive insurance, provided that it was part of the contract before the shutdown. If, for example, unpredictable weather conditions damage the vehicle that may have been parked outside, partial casco comes into play. The same applies to engine fires caused by a short circuit in the electronics or theft. Such cases occur again and again in rest insurance, according to HUK-Coburg. Damage caused by vandalism, on the other hand, is covered by fully comprehensive insurance.

Whether the rest insurance applies depends on the winter quarters. The vehicle must overwinter either in a room or at least in a fenced parking space. Enclosure means the site is surrounded by a fence or hedge. If you use a carport, you should at least secure the free sides with a chain. The parking space is not only of interest to the insurance company, but also to the police. Long-term parking on public streets or squares is not permitted. There is a risk of a 40 euro fine and towing. (awm)