PKK Tears Up Unilateral Turkey Truce As Violence Rages
The announcement from the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) came after a spate of deadly clashes and days of Turkish bombing raids targeting its fighters in southeastern Turkey and across the border in northern Iraq.
“The unilateral state of inaction has ended due to the AKP (Justice and Development Party) government’s latest attacks,” said a PKK statement carried by the pro-Kurdish news agency Firat.
“After the election, the AKP has demonstrated it is going to be a war government,” said the PKK, considered a terrorist organisation by Ankara and its Western allies.
Erdogan vowed on Wednesday that Ankara would press ahead with its military campaign against the rebels in a conflict that has plagued Turkey for more than three decades.
About 45,000 people have been killed since the PKK launched an armed campaign for greater autonomy in southeastern Turkey in 1984.
Violence flared up in July between after a deadly bombing against activists in a Kurdish majority town, shattering a 2013 ceasefire reached after secret talks between Ankara and jailed PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan.
The rebels had however said after the devastating suicide bombings on a pro-Kurdish peace rally in Ankara last month that it would suspend all attacks, except in self-defence — a move seen as aiming to ease tensions ahead of last Sunday’s poll.