Trump’s “Punishment Timeline for China”
As the “George Freud Murder Case” in Minnesota triggered a nationwide street demonstration, Trump’s 29th China Policy Press Conference was delayed and ended in a hurry. However, in a short 10-minute speech, Trump successively threw out the “five major” countermeasures against China. They are roughly as follows:
(1) Will withdraw from WHO: The United States believes that WHO refuses to reform, and in the “Wuhan virus” epidemic, there is a case of synergy or cooperation with China to hide the epidemic notification;
(2) The special preferential status for Hong Kong will be abolished: The United States believes that the “Hong Kong version of the National Security Law” that China has forced has ended one country, two systems. Hong Kong is no longer eligible to enjoy the special status of trade, investment, visa and independent customs with the United States;
(3) Strictly review and restrict Chinese academic / work exchange visas to the United States, especially those related to the People ’s Affairs and the People ’s Liberation Army: The United States believes that China has systematically penetrated scientific research institutions and academic units, and massive theft or malicious Acquisition of smart technology and patents, this move or suspected espionage must be thoroughly investigated;
(4) Strictly review the listing and investment of Chinese companies and capital in the United States: a series of financial integrity issues triggered by the Ruixing Coffee fake account incident;
(5) China and Hong Kong officials who persecute Hong Kong people and Hong Kong ’s freedom will be sanctioned.
Although Trump ’s speech is basically all in the future, and there is no explanation of “time of implementation” and “specific implementation methods”; but in the content mentioned, except for the controversial case of “withdrawal from WHO”, the rest are Congress The general directions of the two chambers “have discussed and obtained the mainstream consensus between the government and the opposition”-in other words, without publicizing the specific implementation timetable, most of Trump’s tough policies on China should be able to get the basics of the US Congress. Agree and support.
The reason for WHO’s decision to retire and freeze membership dues, “I don’t know if it can be ordered by Trump?” Is because the relevant decisions involve the power of budget formulation and review. Although it may belong to the diplomatic power of the US President, it also directly involves Congress’s claim to budget power. Therefore, even Trump’s previous practice of “freezing the payment of WHO’s membership dues” has caused Congress-especially the House of Representatives who pinched the Trump Budget-to anger warnings and threatened to sue the White House on related issues.
The membership treaty signed between the United States and WHO, the United States will have a one-year “notification buffer period” to take effect after it has notified the decision to withdraw. Not only will the buffer period exceed the US presidential election in November (the government may change the day, or change its decision), the US will also need to account for or settle the outstanding dues.
Bloomberg stated that, in addition to the possible opposition and sniping of Congress ’s decision to “exit WHO”, most of the investment market ’s speeches on Trump were subtle “optimistic and reasonable and secretly relieved” Mentality-Because the international community has long known that the United States must make a tough stance on the Hong Kong issue, but Trump’s “tough stance” this time has not exceeded the script, and if it has evaded the issue of the “China-US trade war” As a result, the stock market reacted “mostly positively”, and the “Bloomberg” commentary even stated that “Although Trump has spoken a lot, every sensitive issue has left a negotiation path.”
Although Trump has been actively working on the “real meeting” of the G7 summit, he has allegedly persuaded British Prime Minister Johnson (Boris Johnson)-the best arrow candidate to press the Hong Kong issue-and French President Emmanuel Macron) — one of the most doubtful European leaders in China, but one of the most reluctant to speak on Hong Kong issues — agreed to go to the United States.
But another G7 giant-German Chancellor Angela Merkel-has now confirmed that she is refusing to be present due to epidemic prevention reasons. According to reports, Trump and Merkel had an emotional confrontation on the phone this week with regard to epidemic prevention, WHO and China issues.
Trump's "Punishment Timeline for China" - /10
As the "George Freud Murder Case" in Minnesota triggered a nationwide street demonstration, Trump's 29th China Policy Press Conference was delayed and ended in a hurry.